Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Berrry Crisp (Gluten, Wheat, Tree Nut, Peanut free)

I love having fresh berries on hand for snacking, breakfast, desserts, anything really. Unfortunately I tend to buy large quantities when I am at Sam's club and we just cant eat it all before they start to go bad.  When that happens, I make breads and muffins with them, or in todays case, I threw together this berry crisp.  It was the perfect accompaniment to our slightly spicy taco soup


There is something so deliciously wonderful about berries with cream, whether fresh or in a cobbler or crisp. It is one of life's simple pleasures!



This recipe is very simple, quick to throw together and you can use whatever berries you have on hand. Today I had strawberries, blueberries and raspberries, so I did a cup of each.

Place berries in a 9" square baking dish. I drizzled the berries with the juice from one lemon, then coated with a mixture of  2T cornstarch and1/3C Splenda, then thinly slice 2T butter and randomly place on top of berries.


For the topping, combine 1C flour, 3/4C Splenda, 1/2C Splenda brown sugar, 1/2t salt and 1 egg.  It will still be quite dry, but small crumbs like sand. Cover berries with your topping mixture, then drizzle 4T melted butter over the top.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.






Berry Crisp
Serving size:1/9th

For Berries:
3 Cups berries of choice (I used raspberries, blueberries and sliced strawberries)
juice from 1 lemon
2T cornstarch
1/3C Splenda
2T butter, thinly sliced


For Topping:
1C flour
3/4C Splenda
1/2C Splenda brown sugar
1/2t salt
1 egg
4T butter, melted


Place berried in greased 9' square baking dish. Drizzle berries with lemon juice; coat with cornstarch and spenda mixture. Place thin slices of butter on top of fruit.

Combine all ingredients for topping.  Cover fruit, and drizzle with melted butter.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown. 

Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

Nutrition Facts without whipped cream/ice cream
Serving size 1/9th
Total Servings:9

Calories-206
Fat-7.1g
Carbohydrates-32.4g
Fiber-2.1g
Sugar-15g
Protein-2.1g


No comments:

Post a Comment